14 February, 2005

The True Origin of St. Valentine's Day

February 14, 2005 22:02
Well, today is St. Valentine's Day and I have noticed a few things. Many people will say that I am writing this because I am some sort of dateless loser (well I am), but that is beside the point. The meaning of Valentine's Day has always bugged me, just becuase I didn't know what the meaning was. Who decided that February 14th was such a great day for love and bliss (maybe a little ignorance with that bliss.) Anyways, I decided to end my confusion on the topic and consulted the endlessly flowing fountain of knowledge, Google! After all, Google Calculator acknowledges that the Answer to Life the Universe and Everything is in fact 42. Anyways, on with the story. I looked it up on Google. This lead me to sites about the Great St. Valentine, or Valentinus. It turns out he was a Roman-Catholic Martyr. How interesting... Now we know who he was, why is he celebrated on the 14th of February. It also turns out that he was beheaded on February 14th in the third century. Ironic, isn't it... Well, I decided to lookk deeper. All of the history of St. Valentinus is sort of hazy. All of this is not proved, just strongly believed. So why is St. Valentinus' death day celebrated for love? He may have been one to conduct mariages when they were outlawed. What makes the modern Valentine's Day so funny is that it goes against what St. Valentinus died for. The holiday is often associated with Roman Mythology. Cupid, for instance, is a myhtological being. It seems tha once again, Pagan and Christian Celebrations have been mixed. I mean look at Christmas, the pine tree, the yule log, even Mir, is all Pagan. So is this the true origin of St. Valentine's Day, nobody really knows, but I know that from know on I will be celebrating this day in mourn for the death of a great man, and not for love and bliss, and especially not for Cupid, the Roman Myth!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for that info. I never would have known that St. Valentine himself was beheaded on the 14th of February. That's just crazy. I wish this day had more meaning than that. It's almost disappointing actually. Your blog rocks my socks Jared! (No cheating on vacuum!!!!)
Love ya!

2/14/2005 10:29 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

w00t, i knew a little about it, but it is totaly a good excuse to go on a date. so what were you and hover doing on the 14th

2/15/2005 10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe you're really smart...

Yes it does help me get my blog promoted but it was originally intended as a mockery to bloggers who want everybody to pay special attention to their blog...

I'll try to keep an eye out for yours...

Link me up!

*here i am again with my self-promotion...*

2/15/2005 11:46 AM  
Blogger Monty said...

Well, Joe. For one It is not hover or even hoover. It is a Eureka. And I am fishing for a divcorce or at least a seperation so that we can se other people. Thanks for the comments.
~Jared, The Author

2/15/2005 3:20 PM  
Blogger Monty said...

Oh and I hate it when people are anonymous. I can't link you if I don't know who you are. I remember that I read the blog, but I don't know the address.
~Jared, The Author

2/15/2005 3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home